Thursday, August 23, 2007

Luck Revisited

When my cancer was diagnosed, well meaning people told me I was lucky because it was diagnosed early, that my lymph nodes were not involved, that I had health insurance. While their sentiments were true, and I know, well-intentioned, I did not feel lucky. What was lucky about being diagnosed with cancer? What was lucky about losing your breasts and undergoing chemotherapy?

Today, nearly six months after my diagnosis I am able to consider my luck in a different light. Yes. I was fortunate that I was diagnosed early, that my lymph nodes were not involved and that I had great health insurance. I was also fortunate to have a very supportive network of family and friends and I was very fortunate to have a relatively easy time though my chemo. What I am most fortunate to have is have had the opportunity to enjoy the summer and turn 49. I also have a different attitude toward returning to school this year. Typically I begin to dread the start of school. It means the end of sleeping late, reading fiction and wearing flip flops. This year it signifies that which is normal...being able to go to work.

I am also fortunate to be able to participate in the Breast Cancer 3-Day walk. The walk officially starts tomorrow and there are estimated to be 3,000 walkers. I have volunteered to be a part of the medical crew and am assigned to work in the main medical facility 'in camp'. Today I have a training session to attend and am very excited to do my part. Look for an update next week.

So back to luck. It's all in how you define it. And today, I feel lucky.

0 comments: