Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Difficult Decisions

I had a difficult case last night while working in the ED. It was a school-age child who was depressed. He was there with his Mom who discussed a long family history of mental health concerns. She also revealed her husband was deployed with the military, still in the US but readying for service abroad. From there, our crisis social worker took over to assess the child's and family needs. In the meantime, I got a call from the American Red Cross stating they had a request for emergency medical leave for the father of this child. It was up to me to approve or deny this request. I told them I would contact them when I had more information.



When the social worker was finished she updated me. The happy, smiling boy and mother were heading home. The social worker thought things were fine so I called the Red Cross back and denied the request for emergency leave. About an hour later I got a phone call from a very angry, threatening mother who challenged my decision. Words like 'audacity', 'dying', and 'kill' were included. The phrase 'how dare you' was also mentioned. I got a bit uncomfortable with this and informed her I would call them back and change my decision. When the Red Cross worker asked me why I had changed my mind, I just said there was a change in the situation.

Did I do the right thing?
What would you have done in my situation?

I looked over my should as I walked out to my car after work...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh that was a tough one. I guess if the mother was going to go to that extent ie using her son, and getting THAT upset, maybe there is a genuine need for him to come home.

Sigh ... it is so nice when the world is just simple black and white...

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Touchy situation all round. We all make decisions based on what we are dealing with at the time...I tend to agree with MG...and from the boys point of view he sees his dad.... what they do in the next 'emergency' is a problem for another time....

We have security that walk all medical staff to their cars at night....

pita-woman said...

Ooh, tough one indeed. In a way, you almost have to feel as if you were scammed into making that call. Sounds like the mother is the unstable one with the mental health issues, not the child.

Robert said...

Tend to agree with Pita-womans comment, but am also wondering about the inability of armed service members and their families to accept that this career does carry with it the possibility of deployment to a theater of war or similar - had a case here of a sailor who "jumped ship" during the Gulf war - said he didnt join the navy to get shot at - so all he wanted was a job that gave a good pension. but not prepared to take the risks attendant to the job.
As far as your decision is concerned, the possible leave was due to concerns for the son if I understand your case correctly, and that had been resolved. Perhaps it is a case of the mothers feelings creating the situation in the son ??