Thursday, August 14, 2008

50+

I am now closer to 100 than I am to the day I was born. That was pointed out to me by one of my ED co-workers...thanks.

I have receovered from my birthday angst and the melanoly feelings I had. It was a wonderfully quiet day...quite unlike what you would expect a Leo-woman would want. We spent the day on the boat, went up to Stillwater and had dinner at a great resturant~Nacho Mama's. I would have linked their webpage but I can't seem to find one for them. They have an interesting menu, good drinks and a pretty good beer list. Their patio is nice even though it is bordered by a street. It ws fun.

Since my birthday, well...actually all summer I have been thinking about the concept of normal. How many times I have said "when my life gets back to normal" I do whatever. So what is normal?

There are definately normals in healthcare: normal vital signs, normal x-rays, normal mammograms. While some of these things are absolutes (either positive or negative) most are still a range of what we consider usual or consistent for a given situation. When it comes to people and life situations, I am not sure there is a normal. Sure there are things that we do in the same way every single time we do them...I would suppose that is the closest thing we have to normal. When I look at my life, I am struck by how un-normal I am! I work unusual hours, live in Woodbury, have a giant dog. play hockey and don't generally, act like a 50-year-old.

So what is normal? Whatever we think it is on a given day. Ever changing and evolving...we redefine ourselves and our situations in light of what is going on in our world.

Normal. It is what I am...perhaps.

1 comments:

Pariah said...

Gee,

I like to think of the great decade birthday as a celebration into the next decade. So being 50 is the first of many of your 6th decade. Forget 100, no one else will be around :)

Love ya woman/women (you and the other M)

Catherine