Monday, September 29, 2008

I Knit...


In addition to my work in the Emergency Department, I teach nursing for a couple of differnt colleges. For one college, I teach in the graduate programs, working with master's and doctoral students in mostly an online format. For the other college, I teach exclusively online. Consequently, I spend literally hours in front of my computer. The majority of my work (curriculum, papers, etc.) is all done electronically and I don't have tangible things to show others.

One of the assignments my graduate students have is to create a personal blog. One of my students did her blog on her love of knitting. Knitting is something I have a passion for myself. Lately I find myself almost craving time to knit. I started thinking about this desire to knit. It was more than just a desire to sit and do something I find relaxing. I think it is related to the amount of time I spend online.

Interacting with a screen and a keyboard doesn't always feel good. Not in an emotional way, but in a physical way. I miss using my hands to interact with something besides a keyboard. I know...it sounds weird. I also miss creating something that is not a word document. I think that is why I knit.

I'm not crazy (or at least I don't think so...) It keeps me sane.

2 comments:

pita-woman said...

No, not crazy at all. I think that's why I keep busy with so many crafts, drifting from one to another then back again... that staves off the boredom I get if I spend too much time on one, and too, I like the tangible item I have when I'm done, unlike blogging.
No, not crazy at all.

blonde hoyden said...

i agree. having something to see, touch, and maybe even wrap up in is a great thing after hours in a cyber universe. if you are looking for a project, the boys and i love blankies, even in florida!