Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Road Trip

We are road trippers...so when it came to making arrangements for our spring vacation, there was no thinking about transportation. It would be a road trip. We left home on Thursday, March 13 with our first destination, Louisville, KY about 10 hours away. Why Louisville? The National Houseboat Expo! We arrived on Thursday evening and settled in. The next day we found some time to spare and decided to take a tour of Churchill Downs. Very fun! We saw the sights (in the rain), had a mint julep and I put my toes on the track.



From there we went to the National Houseboat Expo. It was a boatshow with really big boats! These houseboats were HUGE~120' long and 20' wide. They had hot tubs, fireplaces and every amenity you could think of. One was 5 bedroom, 5 bath with a hot tub and 2 fireplaces. We went hoping to get some ideas about remodeling ours but instead, looked at some incredible vessels.

From there we drove to Knoxville, TN home of the University of Tennessee and Mary's favorite women's basketball team the Lady Vols. It is also the home of the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame. After touring that on Saturday morning, we crossed drove through Asheville, NC in the rain. From there we headed south through South Carolina and ended up Saturday night in Savannah, GA. Finally on Sunday, we arrived at Daytona Beach.

We have a couple of issues with our road trips. The first one is that I am not particularly fond of driving. Most of the time, that is fine with Mary who would prefer to drive anyway. After all, she is a professional driver. When she drives, I am more than happy to provide entertainment and refreshments. I will look at the map when requested. When I do have to drive it is usually because she is sleepy; however, she had a knack for turning the wheel over to me at the least ideal times. For example, I got to drive through Chicago and Indianapolis. I also got to drive on Saturday afternoon through torrential rain, high winds and flying objects. We noticed quite a few cars in the ditches as we continued on. The driving really sucked and Mary decided that would be a good time to discuss hydroplaning, following distances and when the speed limit is not the speed limit. In other words, it was a no-nag critique of my driving. Later on Saturday night on the Weather Channel, we learned I (we) had driven through a line of storms that included multiple tornadoes. No wonder I don't like to drive.

After a night in hotel in Savannah (where it was 82 degrees) that had no electricity (the storms), we headed into Florida. We are now enjoying ourselves on Daytona Beach with Pat and Mark. I have included a few photos and will post more as we go.

2 comments:

pita-woman said...

Greetings from Louisville, KY! Sorry it was so sloppy & muddy here for your visit. I've grown rather tired of handling the horses in all this slop.
Have a safe trip!

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

Ahhhh how do you guys handle tornadoes...I cringe when I see them on the news, I could think of nothing more scary...We have cyclones, but they are 'predictable' and you just get out of town....

Loving the houseboats, oh I would kill for one, that would be my retirement ideal, Chels and I just bobbing along...though the ones you saw sound bigger than my house...hope your having a ball girls...my thoughts are with you...x