Sunday, April 06, 2008

The Sum of Her Parts

Karl Ludwig von Bertalanffy was an Austrian-born biologist (d. 1972) who is credited as one of the founders of general systems theory (GST). His work has undergone various applications and revisions over the years but essentially is known as being the first that suggested a system was greater than the sum of its parts. General systems theory has been used in health care to describe family dynamics and relationships. It is a very complex theory but can be picked apart rather easily and defines system as a set of interacting or interdependent entities which together, form an integrated whole.

I am not sure if systems theory has been considered in terms of the human body but I am guessing that someone has. If you think about it, a human body is a set of interacting entities which come together to form an integrated and functioning whole. Ok. So what happens if some of these entities are removed? Like various parts...tonsils, adenoids, appendix, gall bladder, breasts, ovaries and uterus? Is the system, the human, the same? Or is the system permanently altered to become some other system...

When we are born we have a pretty standard set of 'parts'. These parts form the human anatomy and provide the physiology that makes the 'system' work. Certain parts of the system, like the reproductive parts, create the distinction that occurs between men and women. Having my breasts removed caused me to do some thinking of what makes one female. I went through a process of thinking about that last year when I was post-op and going through chemo. I pretty much resolved that in my head and redefined myself as a woman missing the parts that society used to identify us as one gender. Done. Then came tamoxifen side effects and a hysterectomy. I know have all of the 'parts' that differentiate female. The process began again...redefining, reconsidering, rethinking what I have known to be true in my life.

But then came Thomas Beatie...the pregnant man. I watched his interview with Oprah this week. He is the transgendered man who is now pregnant. In the interview he revealed that he had an elective bilateral mastectomy, began hormonal therapy but decided to keep the uterus, ovaries, etc. One the outside, he looks like a man...facial hair, deeper voice, etc. but on the inside has female parts and is now 6 months pregnant. So is he a pregnant man or a pregnant woman with facial hair?

So how does this relate to me today? We have two selves~that which we present to the world and that which we know intimately. And in applying GST to this, certainly the human body requires certain 'parts' to make the system work. There are some anatomical essentials but reproductive parts are not essential. The body does not rely on the presence of reproductive organs for effective functioning. So despite the loss of many minor body parts in the course of my life, I still consider myself to be greater than the sum of my parts.

2 comments:

pita-woman said...

I think we are defined by how we feel inside, not the external package we walk around in.
As for the pregnant man, that's a tough one. I didn't get to watch Oprah's interview, but have seen him on a few other programs, and each one just leaves me with more questions than answers.

Lori K. Carlson said...

We are glad to hear your surgery went well! We just got back into town last night from Grace's Make-A-Wish vacation. We had a great time but we are beat... I remember when I had my uterus and one ovary removed in '99 vividly. I never wanted to birth a child in my life, but I all of a sudden felt this incredible wave of sadness that after that surgery I no longer had a choice about it. Like it was OK when it was all about choice, but not when that choice was taken away. Then I had some problems with the other ovary and during an unrelated surgery I wanted that damn thing out because I didn't want this potential risk in my body... If any of that makes any sense... I just know it changed from mourning my loss of choice to cleansing my body from impurities. I am not sure I look at myself as male or female - in that contents. I think we are both - male and female that has nothing to do with our parts. It is about a mind set. I am a woman who is more comfortable living in a masculine skin, but that does not mean I want to be a boy. I like being a woman. Heck I even have days where I like being more delicate... I don't feel it is about our physical parts so much as our mind set... We live and adapt as we need to given what ever limitations are dropped in our laps - not too much different then the rest of the animal world. You are greater then the sum of your parts - we all are. Our parts do not define us...

Lori