Sunday, March 18, 2007

Road Trip!

After 1600 miles and 24 hours in the car we have arrived in Daytona Beach, FL. We are pretending we are the typical spring breakers...except that we go to bed early and like to watch the sunrise!

After a 3-day journey we have landed in a place of beauty. The journey; however, was an important part of the process. On Friday night we stayed in Chicago with Uncle Dan and Auntie Lala. We like to call this staying at 'Lyons by the Lake.' The innkeeper is wonderfully accommodating and his wife is incredibly charming. They also have a son who is a terrific young man. The cuisine is exquisite and the company...unmatched. In all sincerity, we arrived at Dan and Carla's on Friday to be greeted with the words "you don't look like a sick person!" To this I reply, "check me out in a month." We went to dinner at a lovely French Asian restaurant in Wheaton, IL. Of course, we had some cocktails and some very deep discussion. Alcohol does seem to increase the depth of the conversation some but some there were some points made that were exceedingly important.

1) Be very careful of what gets into your brain now and going forward! No more reading obituaries. Obits are about death energy, so that's something that gets into your head and your subconscious gets thinking about that for hours or days, and it's the last thing you need. [What we hold in mind manifests in kind.]

2) Movies that have gloomy topics? Don't see them, you'll never miss 'em. Negative nellies? Move 'em off your list. You have different priorities now and if people can't understand that, too bad. You must surround yourself with loving, healing energy.

3) I am not a churchified person and I, like my Lala, absolutely abhor those big-mouth, Bible-banging hypocrites! But...this might be a time to consider a return to some sort of formal religion or religious affiliation. Definitely not the Catholic church of course...they are not friendly folks but there are other. For example, Unity is extremely gay and lesbian friendly, which is awesome. It has no "rules". It's all about positive thinking and prosperity. Prosperity means having everything you need, and that goes way beyond money, of course. And for some, Unity has helped some when their lives were in the "13th sub-basement." While it is not for everybody. It's comprised of many people who have been damaged by life. But what many people like is they admit it and they're doing something about it! They don't prance around pretending that nothing's wrong, when a lot is wrong. It's very authentic and a thinking-person's belief system, so no wonder it's not very popular!

My La La claims that she sticks her nose in everything but she loves us and offers us some incredibly wonderful support. Both Mary and I are so happy Dan decided to marry her and bring her formally into our family!

We are in a beautiful place. It is warm and sunny and the waves are breaking on the beach. I could forget that I have cancer...until I look down or get dressed and then I remember. When we left Chicago yesterday morning, I cried for many miles. It started when I said goodbye to Dan and Carla. It is in those moments that my cancer gets big. I think about how many moments I will have with the people I love. I know...all of our days are numbered but it is not until you have been diagnosed with a potentially life-threatening illness that you start thinking and counting.

Today, my cancer is little. I am in a beautiful place with someone I love and we have no schedule. We are having a drink together, overlooking the ocean. The perspective is correct.

0 comments: