Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Scars

Scars are areas of fibrous tissue that replace normal skin (or other tissue) after destruction of some of the dermis (the top skin layer). A scar results from the biologic process of wound repair in the skin and other tissues of the body. Thus, scarring is a natural part of the healing process. With the exception of very minor lesions, every wound. Scar tissue is not identical to the tissue which it replaces and is usually of inferior functional quality. For example, scars in the skin are less resistant to ultraviolet radiation, and sweat gland and hair follicles do not grow back within scar tissue. Often physical sensations around scars are altered as well.


There's your physiology lesson on scars.

We all have scars. When you look at your body you probably can remember how some of them were created. Stupid things we have done to ourselves often end up with scars...riding your bike down a flight of steps, "helping" Grandpa's dog eat his food, or cutting the tip off you finger when 'trying' to do do food art. Other scars are from happy events. Some women very dear to me have some beautiful scars from their C-sections. Without these, I wouldn't have some great kids in my life. And other scars are caused by devastating life events like accidents or cancer.

Most scars show up on our bodies for reasons out of our control. They happen to us. They are the result of some action. For the most part, we don't pay too much attention to them. They become part of how we look to the rest of the world and we don't think about them. But some scars are different. They might remind us of a funny story or event, or something more joyous. They remind us of experiences and of lessons learned.

I have a number of scars on my body...a dog bite, some stitches in my leg necessitated by trying to be a boat mechanic and of course, knee scars from my skiing adventures. But now most of my chest is scarred. Actually, two separate scars. They are not very attractive. The first time I saw them I cried...sobbed actually. The process of embracing these scars is a difficult one. No woman wants to look down and see scars where her breasts were. Now, almost 4 weeks after my surgery I can look at mine more critically. And I now have a choice about how I want to label the scars. I can choose to look at them as being horrifically ugly or I can choose to look at them as something necessary to prolong my life.




I choose the later. I have these scars on my chest for life and for the rest of my life.

My friend Sue is a holistic healer. She brought me a lovely potion of evening primrose, lavender, rose and frankincense to rub into my scars. This soothing combination of essential oils not only smells wonderful but makes my scars feel better...and makes me feel better. Soothed and calm as I await the next step in my cancer journey, scars and all.

0 comments: