Thursday, April 05, 2007

Team Mack

Here it is...the Team Mack logo! Is this not incredible or what? I think everyone should be buying at least one for their own.

I have to admit I have struggled a bit with the amount of attention that I have gotten around my diagnosis and treatment. Yes. I have breast cancer and many women do. Breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer in U.S. women accounting for nearly one out of three cancers diagnosed in U.S. women (ACS, 2004). An estimated 178,480 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to occur among women in the United States during 2007. An estimated 40,460 women will die from breast cancer. It is estimated that 2,030 men will be diagnosed and 450 men will die of breast cancer during 2007. In addition to invasive breast cancer, 62,030 new cases of in situ breast cancer are expected to occur among women in 2007. Of these, approximately 85% will be ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) (Susan G. Koman, 2007).

And back to my point...I am just one of many women facing breast cancer. I am one of the most fortunate ones. I have several things going for me that other women may not. First, I have an incredible support system. My family and friends have rallied the wagons and circled our entire household with love and support. Some of them have "been there" themselves in one way or the other and they can offer a different perspective. I am also finding that most people we have come in contact with have known someone else who has struggled with cancer themselves. Since my diagnosis, we have had another friend diagnosed and our friend Kristin told us of having two other friends of hers diagnosed. This is clearly an endemic issue.

The second thing that I am fortunate for is my medical background and incredible health insurance. I don't know how people without some type of medical understanding get through this. There is a lot to know, understand and coordinate. There are many questions to be asked, treatments to consider and outcomes to ponder. Mary has become a breast cancer expert as well! I came home from chemo on Monday with 5 different prescriptions. Just knowing which one to take when can be difficult to understand. As for insurance, well...one of my prescriptions was $3010.84 alone. Enough said.

Initially I was embarrassed by the attention I was getting around my cancer. While I am an extroverted person, I tend to keep personal issues to myself. But this I couldn't. I wanted to share this news because I am just one person. And next week it could be any one of you or someone you love...and I don't want that to happen. Perhaps right now you are looking at me as if I am your daughter, your sister, your aunt or your mother. That's ok. I am spreading the word.

Get Checked!


References

American Cancer Society (2004). Breast Cancer Deaths on the Decline. Retrieved April 5, 2007 from http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_1_1x_Breast_Cancer_Deaths_on_the_Decline.asp

Susan G. Koman Foundation (2007). Breast Facts: Statistics. Retrieved April 5, 2007 from http://cms.komen.org/Komen/AboutBreastCancer/BreastFacts/BreastFactsStatistics

1 comments:

blonde hoyden said...

how do i get one if i can't be in minnesota for a while? i want one, bad! i need something to stand behind right now. i need a team to stick it out with, too. that and i just plain love and miss you :)