Monday, February 12, 2007

Another Biopsy.

I spent most of the day at the Piper Breast Center. They are absolutely wonderful people. Mary and I started out with meeting one of the nurses and then the surgeon (who came to me highly recommended). Dr. Stoller, the surgeon, was terrific. She spend so much time with us discussing all of my options and what could possibly happen next. Since Mary and I had spend so much time talking this weekend, we had a pretty good idea of what we wanted too. I had opted for the mastectomy. Dr. Stoller felt this was a good choice for me as well although she said a lumpectomy would be fine too. The lumpectomy comes with 7 weeks (5 days per week) of radiation) though and I am not interested in doing that. Whether or not I will need chemotherapy is still unclear. Dr. Stoller estimates the tumor size at about 1 cm but can't be sure until after surgery. That measurement is the 'cut-off' for chemotherapy. The size of the tumor is also important in staging which hasn't been done yet because you need to know whether there are cancer cells in the lymph nodes. They are unable to tell that until the lymph nodes are examined by the pathologist. This who this goes along with the surgery. So, I still don't know about the after surgery care.

Unfortunately while we were meeting with her, the radiologist found something in my right breast. Apparently the folks at Allina Woodbury totally missed another 'suspicious area' but this time on my right side. The radiologist had me do a stereotactic biopsy (mooo......) on that area this afternoon. So everything is on hold again, awaiting the results of today's biopsy. I should hear the results tomorrow afternoon.

So, we wait. To know the significance of having breast cancer in both breasts (on not) as well as a surgery date, and long term care. I can't tell you all how much I appreciate the emails and phone calls with words of comfort, support and encouragement. When Mary and I got into the consultation room at the Piper Center this morning, I started to cry. The nature of this became more real to me. We were there to talk about cancer and it is in my body.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Mary,
Just a note to let you know that Grant and I are here for you. Let us know if you need anything. We know as well as all your other friends you will beat this thing. You have the determination and drive to conquer anything that gets in your way or tries to get in your way.. Also, wanted you to know that I had a biopsy with Dr Stoller and she is absolutely the best. I would recommend her to everyone, I felt fortunate that I just happened to have her working at the piper breast center the day I was there. You take care and hugs and kisses to you both…

M said...

Hey Sue,

Thanks for that vote of confidence. Both Mary and I really liked Dr. Stoller. Actually I was impressed with the whole place and everyone we met there. That's alot for a healthcare worker to say!

We'll let you both know if we need anything.

Thanks again.

M