Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Shopping for new breasts.

How many women get the opportunity to shop for new breasts. Oh...lucky me! Today my friend Betsy and I went shopping for my new breasts. Now that the drains are out, I had the first fitting. We went to a place right in Woodury called Superior Medical Services. We had an 11:00 appointment with Linda. She greeted us an took us into a very large fitting room with comfy chairs. She started by getting some information from me about what kind of bras I liked. She then started bringing out boxes of bras for us to look through. I settled on a rather shapeless, yet soft one that Linda recommended while my incisions continued to heal. I put it on and then she started searching through these huge cabinents of products for the right prosthetic breasts. She tried me in several different shapes and sizes of products. With each new one, she had me put my turtleneck back on so I could see what I would like to the world. At this point, Betsy and I would discuss and vote...too high, too low, too perky, too big. Linda just kept trying different combinations. Who knew there were so many things to think about. We all finally agreed on the bra with the right prosthestics. They are soft, temporary ones. I think Linda was a little disappointed that I didn't want to wear my new boobs home. By the time I was finished I was tired of trying on things and a bit sore as well. I was all set for a bit of lunch and home for a nap. In another couple of weeks, I can be fit for the "real" prosthetics. They will be silicone with a more natural fit and feel. There are also some nicer bras to wear when the incisions are more healed.

During this whole process, Linda reminded I could be any size that I wanted to be. I was tempted to try out some DDs but I didn't want to look totally ridiculous. I already feel a bit ridiculous knowing I will have synthetic breasts but considering the trade-off, I am fine with it in the long run. This was truly an experience that I had never imagined having. I am so glad that Betsy went with me. She was able to provide some prospective that I didn't have. We managed to giggle a bit as well.

I am still processing all that we learned about chemo and hormone therapy yesterday. The oncologist's office gave me a huge file folder of information I haven't been able to look at yet. Not because I don't have the time...just because I haven't wanted to yet.

1 comments:

blonde hoyden said...

as jealous as i am of the new ta-tas, i wouldn't want to have to deal with all of that. maybe i'll just save my cash and buy new ones myself :) then we can go to that beach and show them off :)

i miss you and think about you oh so very much!