Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Worth the Wait!

I finally was able to talk with the surgeon this afternoon. The news is all good. She told me to plan on being an old woman "like the rest of us!" This was music to my ears! The cancer is Stage I on the left with no malignancy (just precancerous cells) on the right. The tumor size is on the border of needing chemotherapy. The cut-off is 1 cm and mine is 0.9 cm. We will be meeting with an oncologist but not until next week at the earliest. According to the nurse at the Piper Center, they want to wait until you are about 2 weeks post-operative. Although I don't really know anything new related to long-term treatment, I feel much more calm about it all. There was a definite sense of relief after talking with Dr. Stoller.

I am happy to be home, watching a movie with Allyson (my caretaker today...Mary went back to work). I am even happier to know that I will have the priviledge of spending many more days at home...

For the first time since getting this diagnosis, I truly believe I am going to beat this disease. Thanks to everyone who believed this long before I was able to. It has been the faith of many that have gotten me to this point. I am so grateful. We both are.

2 comments:

Amanda H. said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad to hear the good news. It is amazing that your journey has moved so fast although I'm sure it didn't feel fast enough for you. I am so proud of you and I look forward to having you in net again, so get your rest!-Amanda

Unknown said...

Absolutely wonderful!

This makes the rest of your recovery time just what it should be: recovering from recovering with a positive spin!

Always...

Catherine