Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Doing my homework.


I've been doing some homework...reading all of the information that I was given by the oncologist's office. Yikes. The two drugs that I will be given with each of my chemotherapy cycles are doxorubicin (Adriamycin) and cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan). After I finish those 4 rounds of chemo, 2 weeks apart, I will be started on hormone therapy with either tamoxifen or a newer kind of drug called an aromatase inhibitor.
Here is a partial list of potential side effects:
infertility (Oh well. I had my chance.)
total hair loss (including eye brows, lashes, pubic and other body hair)
cystitis (bladder infections)
immune suppression with decreased resistance to minor illnesses
fuzzy thinking (also called "chemo brain")
fatigue (increasing with each cycle)
conjunctivitis
mouth sores
runny eyes and nose
anorexia
nausea
vomiting
diarrhea
constipation
weight loss
weight gain (21% of women gain weight during chemo)
heart damage
increased risk of leukemia
increased risk of ovarian cancer after age 50
menopause (side effect or bonus? You be the judge.)
hot flashes
night sweats
mood swings
fluid retention
loss of feeling in hands and feet
local tissue damage (skin burns) if medications leak out of vein into surrounding tissues.
Perhaps I will stop reading now.
It is important for me to keep in mind that these side effects don't occur in all patients. It is also important for me to remember that our friends in the pharmacy are very good at suggesting different ways of dealing with side effects including decadron (a steroid) and zofran (an anti-vomiting medication). We love our pharmacy friends! I must also remember that the side effects will stop when the medications are done. That means just 8 weeks of potential discomfort. That is a small trade-off for a longer, cancer free life.
Please remind me of that during my chemo. I might have trouble remembering that then...you know, chemo brain!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Remember the adjuvant therapies:

Narcotics for the pain -- get the real good stuff. I'd prefer to be out of mind with narcs than with pain. *^*

Top of the line antiemetics for the N&V -- one gets sick and tired of being sick and tired ;P

Antidepressants for menopausal symptoms and, of course, depression.

Metamucil to keep you bound when loose, and to keep you loose when bound.

Well, at least a brazilian wax job won't be necessary.

A good massage by some who understands the needs of someone going through chemo.

The love of your animals with their eyes and putting their head in your lap.

And of course, love, touch, support, reading postings and e-mails; watching movies (Little Miss Sunshine is a must!) and window gazing.

Always...

Catherine

M said...

Catherine,

I really appreciate your comments and words of encouragement. It means alot to me that you take the time to read this.

Hope things are going well in your new practice in NY.

M

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Mary--
I hardly know you but wish to applaud the niche you've carved by breaking down the "big C" into sound bites. And you do it with syle and humor. Remarkable.
Your drive impresses me not to mention your passion for knowledge and activism. Keep giving the docs, nurses and the literature a run for its money! Thank you for being so "real" about your life. Way to go girl! Keep smiling :) Lil